Monday, December 27, 2010

Home study products

Home study products

This, I imagine is the primary reason that many of you came to this blog. Home study products have become increasingly popular over recent times mainly because the cost to produce such items has decreased drastically. To be upfront; my interests are broad, but not without aims, my intention is to cover a wide range of products but keeping in mind that the end goal is to assist the student in developing superior skills, or at the very least; self improvement.  I have acquired many audio/video and internet courses which are all geared to learning music and it is my intention to pass the finer points of the programs along to you.

The first review will be a series of materials from the very famous vocal pedagogue; Brett Manning. Most people know him as the voice teacher to Taylor Swift and Hayley Williams of the band Paramore.  Mr. Manning (through his singing success website) offers a number of different products, all  of which are geared towards  making for clearer, stronger and more agile voices.  In order to give a completely genuine review I have been using the products on myself and feel that I am an adequate guinea pig due to my naturally narrow range, my long struggles with intonation and overall lack of any natural talent whatsoever.



This is one of the commercials from the singing success website
it features Hayley Williams of the band; Paramore.

The major problem with all of these reviews of which  I would like to remind the reader is that while I am using these products enthusiastically, I am still a student. As of writing this, I have been working with an instructor of Hindustani classical voice music for some time and his teachings have altered my perspective on instructing music greatly (Haresh Bakshi of www.soundofindia.com) . Therefore, it is important to keep in mind that while these home study materials might work extremely well, they are being tempered in my experience by the private studies which I am currently undertaking.

But that is the point, isn’t it? The idea of home study materials is supposed to supplement mentor-style learning and not to replace it. Therefore; please keep in mind; while I feel very strongly that students should be using modules and programs for themselves it is part of the greater learning experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment